Monday, April 30, 2007

These kids are so much younger than me

The cast party was Friday, the Dance Commanders' final concert was on Saturday, and the Ron n' Randy Intern Picnic was tonight. On Tuesday is a cocktail extravaganza at Cousin Anna's and a potential sleepover towards the end of the week.

Next Monday, thirty percent of the town will be gone after graduation and finals are done.

Most of them can afford to prenostalgically cram all the fun they possibly can into a week before three months are over and they get up and do it again. It's a sick joke, though, to go through the motions when I know that this could be the last time I'll ever see them. Conversations with acquaintances are motivated by a desperate need to affirm meaningful friendship, but once the hangover is gone, the only confirmation is usually a shadowy memory of a moment of kindness. I've already said good-bye to two of my favorite co-workers. Relationships are limited, flirtations halted, but despite all that you still want...something.

Thank God for Facebook, I guess.

No comments: