Friday, April 6, 2007

Rolling back prices on natural phenomena

Did you know that sunsets are mostly just dust particles interefering with wavelengths of light? Cool colors are scatterings by molecules in the air, whereas red, yellow, and orange are light reflecting off soot and smoke closer to the earth. When I railed against pollution as an idealistic elementary school environmentalist, one kid pointed out that without pollution, we wouldn't have changing leaves in autumn or sunsets. Ever since then I've watched what I've said about tailpipes, other than to poke fun at their ridiculous size on souped-up West County cars. Sunsets appear at diffrent times each night, and the latest sunset actually occurs a little after the summer solstice. The sun will go on rising and setting no matter what happens to anyone on this puny earth--save a nuclear cosmic disturbance.

When Ben and I broke up three years ago, we swore to remain friends and that there were no hard feelings, and to prove that we went to Wal-Mart, which is what friends do here. As we left, he ran into a friend of his and started chatting, where I stared outside at the pastel orange sunset outside. Four months later he met the girl he eventually got engaged to.

Statistically, coincidences are inevitable.

Yesterday, Jared and I left Wal-Mart with our Combos and Turtle Chex Mix, respectively, only to greet through the sliding doors a scarlet sunset crowding the horizon. It was stunning. He told me not to be emo and I chortled at the very thought. I'd seen this coming for quite some time, but I'd still thought it wasn't too late to change things, or if I waited a little longer it would get better. He looked happier and more relaxed than I've seen him in months. I suppose that counts for something.

I'm fighting the good fight against The Emo. It's too close to call.

No comments: