Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Come Fly With Me

I was walking towards the square tonight and saw a small brown lump on the sidewalk under a streetlamp. At first it looked like a frog, but when I approached it closer, it turned out to be a bat. I don't know how bats are supposed to move, so I'm not sure if he was hurt or just learning to fly, but this one couldn't get very far off the ground. I saw him hop, scuddle, and occasionally flap up a few inches into the air in the grass.

Once, he stopped moving for a several uncomfortable moments, and I was shocked at the thought that I might have just seen him die.

He moved his head around, though, and continued scurrying to the steps of the nearest building, crawled up the wall and across the stoop. I let him be after that point. I'd never seen anything like that up close, or at least, up close and not in a cage.

No comments: