Friday, June 1, 2007

Chill-ism Out-ism

Two days ago, I did something I wasn't too proud of.

I was looking for a parking spot next to my apartment. There's no lot, just a concrete strip next to the complex. The white lines dividing the spaces are nearly invisible, so no one pays attention to them, often rendering it difficult to find a spot. Especially when a sassy red car parks with their front bumper three feet from the curb, with enough space on either side to be obnoxious, but not enough to actually squeeze in a car. So I parked, wrote "Quit parking like an asshole" on a piece of paper, tucked it under their windshield wiper, brought my bags inside, and felt like a grade-A bitch.

I know it's important to stand up for yourself, and it's perfectly healthy to get frustrated or angry from time to time. A friend of mine and I even had a good cathartic laugh over a similar note he left on an SUV in St. Louis that was parked so closely we could barely breathe. But when I thought about it, even though it was a little thing, what I did seemed rude and unecessary. It's not like I wasn't able to find a place---I ended up parking about five spaces away. It didn't hurt me, it's not my place to cut people down if they're not following the rules, and I know I'd feel terrible if someone left something like that on my car.

A lady came into JavaCo a couple months ago and got a drink and a cookie. She said, "I'd get a latte, but I'm from Seattle, and they don't make them as good anywhere else."

"Well, our lattes are pretty good--" I started.

"No, you really can't get a good latte outside of Seattle, I know this." She smiled and thanked me when I handed her the coffee, and left. I walked back to the food area where Patrick was cutting carrots and started ranting about what a pretentious bitch she was, and how could the lattes possibly be that different anywhere else? He listened thoughtfully, then said, "Well, I'm sure she'd be really hurt if she heard you call her a bitch, but yeah, that sounds a little close-minded."

He had a very good, true, and humbling point. You're not a bitch for having an opinion, and for all I know, it could be true; I've never been to Seattle or tasted their liquid gold lattes. And even I will always firmly believe that fish and chips are far inferior outside of Scotland.

The next time I get mildly offended, I'll probably shrug, ignore it, and try to be the bigger person. Maybe laugh a little, and not harbor a grudge or talk behind their back. It wasn't worth it. Not to say I won't defend myself when it's personal or directly affects me--but to not go out of my way when it doesn't.

So I'm sorry, Owner of Sassy Red Car. What I did was uncalled for.

Just don't make it personal.

2 comments:

Jen said...

I think you are being too hard on yourself, about the woman with the Seattle Lattes. Because, even though you may always think that Scotland makes the best fish and chips, would that keep you from ever having them ever again?

And I don't know that she would have been hurt by being called a bitch. I personally tend to take it as a compliment.

Courtney said...

I left a note on a car belonging to a girl living in the Jefferson Apartments that said "Learn how to fucking park, cunt." I understand what you mean about being the bigger person, but sometimes too much frustration in one day just needs an outlet. Don't worry, I won't judge you :)